Saturday, 10 October 2026

                                                 

                                       At The Lido

While I have been cataloguing  some of my work I came across a drawing of 

a dress which I had titled At the Lido.  The structure of the garment 

and the folds of it's fabric must have reminded me of those amazing 

Art Deco pools of the 1930s

Here is a photo that I found:



A very posed photo of a Lido Pool

The Lido Pools were build in England in the 1930s, they were
built by local Councils to provide an opportunity for everyone to have access to
swimming facilities.  They would promote good health and become a place for community
events and gatherings.  During the war the maintenance of them became an impossible
burden and gradually they fell into disrepair.


Saltdean Lido

Some still remain though, restored by public donation and fond memories such as this one
 at Saltdean in Brighton.  It now even houses a public library, a gym and a cafe,
you can get married there too if you wish or have a party, lets just hope that the
weather holds.
Here is my drawing, it is actually not a suitable garment for a swim at the Lido.

 


Perhaps any of these would be more appropriate, I believe that the top
right one is Marilyn Monroe's from the 1950s.


Mid century swimsuits


Drawing images copyright Frances Jill Studd 2026


No comments:

Post a Comment